Partners marrying in Northern Ireland have actually a range of either a spiritual ceremony or perhaps a civil ceremony (which can be carried out either by way of a registrar or even a Humanist celebrant). The initial plans are equivalent for both kinds of wedding.
Any a couple can marry in Northern Ireland so long as:
- both have reached minimum 16 years old in the time of these wedding – anybody under 18 will be needing authorization from their moms and dad or guardian, or if suitable, a court purchase to permit the wedding to proceed
- they’re not linked to one another in a means which will avoid their marrying
- they truly are unmarried (any marriage that is previous have now been ended by divorce or separation, death or annulment)
- they’re not associated with sex that is same
- they’ve been with the capacity of comprehending the nature of a wedding ceremony as well as agreeing to wedding
There are specific problems that apply to anybody who is under immigration control. This means if you should be maybe not really A uk, eea (European financial Area) or Swiss nationwide.
Forms of relationships where wedding is illegal
Wedding might not be feasible in the event that events are associated, by bloodstream, use, step-parent relationship or surrogacy.
Associated by bloodstream or adoption
A guy may maybe maybe not marry their:
- adoptive mother or previous mother that is adoptive
- used child or previous used child
A female might perhaps not marry her:
- adoptive daddy or adoptive father that is former
- adopted son or previous adopted son
Step-parent and relationships that are stepchild
A person may perhaps perhaps not marry their: