It’s possible for a chicken that is female accept external characteristics of the male, a phenomenon known as intercourse reversal. (To date, spontaneous intercourse reversal from male to female has not yet been reported.) Genetically and anatomically, a chicken who has skilled intercourse reversal continues to be a hen, nonetheless it has additional faculties similar to those of the male.
Typically, a few observable variations in the additional intercourse traits of roosters and hens occur (as shown in Figure 1).
Included in these are the following distinctions:
- The male has a bigger human body, brush, and wattles compared to the feminine.
- The male’s comb is turgid and stands erect, whereas the female’s may flop over to one side in single-comb chickens.
- The male has bigger, more developed spurs compared to female.
- Although both sexes have actually the capability to typically crow just the male does.
- The male has more variety of coloring in his plumage than the female (except for breeds of which the males are hen-feathered, such as the Sebright and Campine breeds) in multicolored varieties.
- A man has much longer and much more pointed hackles than the feminine.
- Both sexes have actually primary tail feathers, but just the male has feathers that are saddle sickles.
Fig. 1. Contrast for the outside appearances of a male chicken (top) and a lady chicken (base). Supply: University of Illinois. Combined with authorization.
So how exactly does spontaneous sex reversal happen? Continue reading “Intercourse Reversal in Chickens Kept in Small and Backyard Flocks”